The World's Top 10 Sustainable Tourism Destinations for 2021
Updated: Jan 29, 2021
Wondering where to go when travel opens up again this year? Choose one of these sustainable tourism destinations for a low-impact journey.
1. Best Sustainable Destination for Food: Greece
Popping out on top of the most sustainable destinations for 2021 is Greece - the cradle of the world. In Lonely Planet's best in travel for 2021, Greece was named as a great destination for sustainable eating - and we agree. Classic grilled meat, olive oil, feta cheese, and fresh fish plucked straight out of the sea never goes out of fashion.
2. Best for Low-Impact Adventures: Iceland
The land of fire and ice is incredibly proud of their natural attractions, and there are a lot of them. From crashing waterfalls to brooding glaciers, around every corner in Iceland is another adventure waiting to happen. The country has been taking steps towards making travel here more eco friendly. Some spots have been closed due to over trafficking, and the government has tried to draw tourists up away from the well trodden main routes around the country.
3. Best Green Destination for Culture: Italy
Is there anyone who doesn't love Italy? With fantastic food, bucket loads of history, and locals with a passion for life unsurpassed by anyone, Italy is our choice for a green destination for culture. What's sustainable about travel in Italy you ask? Let's find out.
The country is one of Europe's loveliest destinations when it comes to train travel. You can quickly get from one end of the country to the other with minimal fuss, and without the need to drive on the crazy roads.
4. Best Sustainable City Break: Ljubljana, Slovenia
Ljubljana has been harping on about
5. Best for a Eco-Friendly Wildlife Experience: Rwanda
6. Best Destination Off the Beaten Track: Palau
7. Best Destination for Sustainable Hiking: Bhutan
8. Best Eco Friendly Island Escape: The Azores, Portugal
Anchored out in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, the world is slowly waking up to The Azores Islands. A part of Portugal, this untouched and prehistoric paradise is the perfect destination for an eco friendly island escape.
9. Best for a Sustainable Jungle Adventure: Costa Rica
10. Best Sustainable Destination in the Middle East: Oman